Over the past year, the move towards e-Prescribing among Medicat clients gained momentum.
- Since January, Medicat clients have averaged over 5,000 total e-Prescriptions per week.
- The top 100 prescribing providers are averaging 45 e-Prescriptions per week.
Medicat introduced e-Prescribing capabilities in 2010 by integrating with DrFirst's Rcopia*, a market leading product. SureScripts, the national e-Prescribing clearinghouse, has certified Rcopia as a Gold Solution product – its highest possible rating. Among the hundreds of EHRs on the market, only a handful offer Gold Solution e-Prescribing.
Rcopia e-Prescribing Benefits:
- Direct communication to pharmacies across the country.
- Automatic drug, allergy, ingredient and interaction alerts.
- Dosage checking & pediatric alerts.
- Formulary checking & alternate drug lists.
- Pharmacy Benefit Manager checks (to see drugs prescribed to patients from other providers).
- Reduced errors due to handwriting illegibility.
- Mitigates the risk of overdosing from duplicate therapies.
- Less wait time for patients at the pharmacy.
- Reduced call-backs due to illegibility or errors on a paper prescription.
Implementing Rcopia does require some adjustment and additional training. A step by step definition of the process is key to a smooth implementation and Medicat's training team has developed a list of recommended practices to save time and avoid typical errors.
Since e-Prescribing is a relatively new technology, Medicat and Rcopia are continually improving product capabilities. Here is a short list of expected enhancements before the end of 2012:
- DrFirst is the first e-Prescribing vendor to be certified for controlled substances (EPSC). A national roll-out is underway (more details in coming months).
- Rcopia will soon include a Patient Dashboard to monitor adherence by enabling clinicians to monitor scripts vs. pick-ups over time - a significant patient safety and compliance feature!
- Rcopia will soon include 'Krames,' a medical content leader, as its source for patient information.
Medicat selected DrFirst as its e-Prescribing partner in 2010 because it was a market leader dedicated to innovation in a rapidly changing technology. DrFirst's continued innovation, rapid growth and our experience to date affirms that Medicat chose the right e-Prescribing partner.
*DrFirst Company Snapshot:
- 1,000,000+ prescriptions managed weekly
- Largest e-Prescribing vendor in the nation
- Customers in all US states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands
- Certifications: CCHIT 2011, ARRA-MU, GoldRx (5 years) and ISO 27001
- Partners: 220 (123 ONC-ATCB certified EMRs & most major Behavioral Health EHRs)
- Hospitals: HIT partnerships representing over 40% of US hospitals
- Enterprise customers: Henry Ford Health System, Intermountain Healthcare, University of Michigan, MD Anderson, GE Enterprise, BCBS plans nationally
For more information about Rcopia or the benefits of e-prescribing, contact Medicat Sales, (866) 633-4053, Option 1.